22 – 24 May 2023
$1095 (without lodging)
$1495 (with lodging)
Interested in astrophotography but you are hesitant to try? Milky Way shots and those mind-boggling deep sky photos in your bucket list but you don’t know where to start or what gear to use? Embark on an astrophotography-focused adventure with our highly-esteemed photographers, Matt Dieterich and Kah-Wai Lin, and be captivated by the splendor of the night skies in Kanab, Utah!
For inquiry, please e-mail us at:
kahwailin (AT) outlook (DOT) com
If you wish to pay with bank transfer, Zelle, Chase QuickPay or check, please e-mail me at: kahwailin (AT) outlook (DOT) com
If you wish to pay with credit card or PayPal, there will be 3% extra charge, please proceed with the following:
- Camera and astronomy gear set-up
- Learn how to capture sharp stars, proper exposure times and image balance
- Deep sky imaging using telephoto lens/small telescope and portable equatorial mount/tracker
- Demo of advance deep sky astrophotography
- Post-processing with Photoshop, Lightroom and PixInsight
We will be having 2 image processing sessions in the day time and 2 astrophotography shooting at night.
- Learn how to select the proper equipment for deep sky astrophotography.
- Learn how to polar align and capture deep sky astrophotographs with a tracker mount, like Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer or iOption Skyguider Pro.
- Learn how to stack and edit deep sky astrophotos within PixInsight and Photoshop.
By the end of workshop, you will be able to master the basic of deep sky astrophotography and able to capture the beautiful night sky.
Keep in mind that you don’t need fancy and expensive equipment to start astrophotography! All you need is your camera, wide angle lens, telephoto lens, and a very low cost, portable equatorial mount like Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer or iOptron Skyguider Pro. With these minimal setup, you may capture some of the most amazing astrophoto that you can ever imagine!
What should I bring?
- Camera DSLR, or mirrorless digital camera Cooled astro-CMOS cameras for advanced students are welcome
- Tracker Such as SkyWatcher Star Adventurer, or iOptron SkyGuider Pro
- Lenses/Telescopes for deep sky astrophotography such as 50mm, or 135mm For advanced students a portable telescope such as William Optics RedCat 51 are great
- Sturdy tripod and ball head
- Multiple charged batteries, battery charger, and empty memory cards
- Shutter release cable (intervalometer)
- Headlamp with a red light setting and warm clothing
- Laptop computer with Adobe Photoshop and PixInsight installed
- I recommend ordering a L-bracket for your camera body if you do not already have this accessory. L-brackets allow quickly swapping between landscape and portrait orientation while keeping portrait shots to remain centered over the tripod
Meet the Guides
US$1095 per person (without lodging)
US$1495 per person (with lodging)
Very easy, no hiking
Maximum 10 people
90 days prior to the workshop starting date.
- Luxury Airbnb lodging with single occupancy rooms
- Matt Dieterich and Kah-Wai Lin as your professional photography guides
- Deep sky image processing in PixInsight, Photoshop and Lightroom
- Travel Insurance
Cancellation and Refund Policy
By signing up the workshop, you agree to our cancellation policy. If you cancel and the workshop greater than 120 days from the start date of the workshop, and the seats does not fill, we will refund you the full amount you have paid, minus a $300 service charge. If you cancel and the workshop within 120 days or less from the start date of the workshop, and the seats does not fill, the fee is non-refundable. Please see the detail at: https://kahwailin.com/terms-and-conditions/