Puffins are perhaps my favorite birds to photograph. These images of puffins were photographed in Faroe Islands from the trips of past many years. There are some interesting facts about this little cutties, I hope you enjoy the article!
1. Puffins are seabirds, they spend most of their lives in the sea and they only return to land to breed.
2. Puffins mate for life, they usually pair up with the same partner and return to same burrow as previous year. Some have been together for 20 years!
3. Puffins are excellent swimmers and divers. They can dive 60 meters underwater for foods.
4. Puffins don’t make nests; they dig burrows of 1-meter depth. They are usually in between the rocks on steep cliffs so predators cannot reach them.
5. Puffins have toilets. They are extremely clean animals and have separate toilet area in their burrow. It is usually close to the entrance, sometimes around a bend. The puffling needs to be kept clean as the dirty feathers can ruin a puffin’s waterproofing.
6. Puffins’ beaks change color. Their beaks dull grey in the winter but changes to technicolor orange hue in the mating season to attract their mate.
7. Puffin’s chick is called puffling. Puffins have just one puffling each year.
8. Puffins are carnivores. Small fishes like herrings, hakes and sand eels are their main source of foods.
9. Puffin’s tongues and spiny palates allow them to grab over 10 small fishes in their beaks per dive. One puffin in Britain set a record for holding 62 fish at one time.
10. Puffins are long lives birds. They can live more than 20 years, and the oldest known puffin lived 36 years!