7 – 13 December 2020
For registration and sign-up, please e-mail me at:
kahwailin (AT) outlook (DOT) com
We have teamed up with our world-class partners at Viking International Photo Tours and Global Elite Photographer to bring you a workshop like no other. We have combined our expertise in planning the perfect photography workshop along and the GEP team’s extensive knowledge and teaching skills.
Join us during this unique opportunity to visit and photograph Death Valley during the best winter light with our two master photographers. Whether you’re a beginner or advanced photographer, you will leave this workshop with many new skills and fantastic images as keepsakes. We will provide you with opportunities to learn the techniques and tricks professional photographers use to capture memorable images. Participants are instructed in everything from composition, to the use of filters for balancing a scene and bringing out those brilliant evening desert colors!
- A focus on landscape and astrophotography
- Our master photographers will instruct you with basic and advanced photography techniques including but not limited to: composition, filter use, star trails, light painting, using a star tracker and Milky Way photography
- Exploring photographic highlights of Death Valley during the best
- Master classes and image critique sessions to guarantee that you go home with an incredible portfolio
- Assistance in calibrating your screen monitors and color correction classes to take your post-processing skills up a notch!
- Learn how to use apps like Photopills to assist you planning your photography trips
- Visiting breathtaking locations including but not limited to: Zabriskie Point, Golden Canyon, the salt polygons of Badwater Basin, Twenty Mule Team Canyon, Mesquite Sand Dunes, Devil’s Golf Course, Mud Cracks and more!
- Learning new skills and advanced photography techniques to make the most of lighting and locations such as bracketing, focus stacking and long exposures
- A small workshop so your experience is truly personal, and you get to know your guide and fellow photographers
It is our goal for our participants to have ample time to photograph many of Death Valley’s most photogenic locations with the best available light. Weather in winter is far more likely to produce those dramatic skies that every landscape photographer looks for. With the skills you learn, you’ll be in the right place with the right knowledge to capture these iconic spots.
Our master photographers will guide you as we venture through the most scenic locations that this park has to offer. They will adjust the workshop itinerary based on astronomical opportunities as well as the weather forecast. They will fine tune the daily destinations and timing each day according to the weather, sunrise, sunset, astro and weather forecasts, PhotoPills and other apps that assist our master photographers in planning out where the best opportunities to capture winter light will be.
Our home base will be at the hotel in Furnace Creek to photograph. This will give us better flexibility to photograph the iconic vistas and features of the nearby surrounding areas: Zabriskie Point, Golden Canyon, the salt polygons of Badwater Basin, Twenty Mule Team Canyon, Mesquite Sand Dunes, Devil’s Golf Course, Mud Cracks and more!
In addition to countless shooting opportunities with our masters; several image critiques, masterclasses, and post-processing sessions are built into the itinerary. We will be focusing on key topics such as teaching composition including pre-visualisation, filter use for landscape photography, Astrophotography (star trails, light painting and milky way), post-processing and color calibration techniques as well as gear review and equipment advice.
Accommodations: The Oasis at Death Valley
- Comprehensive gear and itinerary review with a safety briefing
- Astrophotography Masterclass
- The Use of Filters in Landscape Photography
- Color-correction and Screen calibration session
- Mastering composition and visualization
- Post-Processing Masterclass
- Image Critique sessions
We will be staying in clean, comfortable hotels throughout this workshop.
Hotel accommodations will include breakfast.
Workshop pricing is based on room sharing in double rooms. For an additional cost you may request a single room – please note this is subject to room availability, and at the discretion of Viking International Phototours based on workshop attendee numbers.
Safety & Medical
Death Valley conditions can be extremely rugged and harsh. You will be expected to follow instructions to ensure you are kept safe and out of harm’s way.
You must also advise Viking International Phototours in advance and in writing of any illness, injury or pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect your attendance and participation during the workshop.
The itinerary for our workshop is subject to change at the discretion of our Photo Guides depending on the weather, which can be highly unpredictable. We will check the weather forecasts and road conditions and plan our day to optimize shooting conditions. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to visit all the locations on the itinerary.
Recommended Photography Equipment
A recommended list of gear will be sent out as soon as you book to give you ample time to prepare for your adventure.
Terms & Conditions
Please refer to the Booking Terms and Conditions.
Booking with Kah-Wai Lin Photography LLC (New Jersey, USA) indicates acceptance of the Terms and Conditions as outlined.
US$2990 per person double occupancy.
US$3740 per person single occupancy.
Maximum 10 people
90 days prior to the workshop starting date.
Meet the Guides
- 7-day workshop with 6 nights hotel accommodations (double occupancy)
- Travel to and from Furnace Creek
- Airport transfers
- Award-winning, Global Elite Photographer Guides who will provide a combination of instruction, masterclasses and in-field guidance
- Transportation during the workshop in a comfortable vehicle with ample room for you and your photography gear
- Exclusive VIP and Global Elite Photographer swag
- Access to exclusive discounts on gear from our partners
- Commercial Permit Fees for Death Valley National Park
- Disposable masks and hand sanitizer availability for all participants during the duration of the workshop
- Food and beverages (other than breakfast)
- Items of a personal nature including (but not limited to) laundry services, clothing, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
- Gratuities for Photo Guides, local guides and/or drivers